#72 - Creating a Joomla Submenu
One of the most basic tasks in Joomla is the need to create a sub menu item. So many people find this a bit difficult the first time they need to do it, although it then becomes very easy once you've done it the first time. To create a menu with submenu items structure, we create one menu with two levels of Menu Items. Note that we do this whether we want to have everything shown as one large menu or whether we want to create separate menu modules (one parent menu and two child menus).
- Create a new Menu in the Menu Manager called "Pets".
- Add a new Menu Item called "Dogs". For this example, we don't really care what the type of the Menu Items is. For example, you can just create one article called "Pet Menu Test" and then create all of the Menu Items as type Article → Article Layout and point to this article.
- Add a second Menu Item called "Collies" (again, Menu Type of Article Layout as above). In the Parent Item box, select "Dogs", as shown below:
- Add a third Menu Item called "Greyhounds", again making "Dogs" the Parent Item. (Remember, these can all point to the same article.)
- Add the "Cats" Menu Item. Be sure to make the Parent Item for this "Top".
- Add the last two Menu Items, "Tabbies" and "Siamese", making "Cats" the Parent Item for both.
The rest of this item is also very interesting, and can be found here: http://docs.joomla.org/Creating_a_submenu