This tutorial is going to focus on moving only your content or users from Joomla 1.5 to Joomla 2.5. We recommended J2XML. This tutorial has been reproduced via Open Source Training - if you are looking for great Joomla, Drupal and Wordpress training, the should be your first stop!
What is J2XML?
J2XML is really only the first of 2 extensions. J2XML is the extension for exporting content from our of your Joomla 1.5 site. You can find it here at the JED.
J2XML Importer is the opposite: it is the extension for importing content into your Joomla 2.5 site. .
Exporting your content from 1.5
First, let's export our Joomla 1.5 content.
- Go to https://www.eshiol.it/9-joomla/j2xml/8-j2xml-importer-1600.html
- Download the extension via the link shown below
- Go to your Joomla 1.5 site, open the Extension Manage and Import the Joomla 1.5 extension.
- Go to the Plugin Manager and enable the System - JC2XML plugin.
- When you got to your Article Manage, Section Manager or Category Manager, you'll now see an Export button in the top-right.
- Select the Articles, Sections or Categories you want to move and click Export.
- A file will be downloaded to your desktop with a name like this: j2xml150620130110164720.xml
Importing the content to Joomla 2.5
- Go to J2XML
- To be honest, I had a hard time finding the download for the importer but was able to see in the menus and also in the Latest Files module.
- Go to Components > J2XML Importer
- Click the Options button in the top-right corner
- Choose the import options for your site:
- One of the most important is under the Advanced tab. Make sure that Keep Ids is set to Yes. This is important for several reasons, including that your URLs remain the same.
- After you've saved the options, click Choose File in the top-right corner and upload the file that you created earlier.
- Click Import.
You'll now get a report on the import, together with any errors.
The message above mentions "User not imported" because this process will also work with users. Repeat exactly the same process as we've just seen, simply login to your Joomla 1.5 and click Export in your User Manager.
This tutorial has been reproduced via Open Source Training - if you are looking for great Joomla, Drupal and Wordpress training, the should be your first stop!
Please leave a useful comment with your thoughts, then share this on your Facebook group(s) who would find this useful and let's reap the benefits together. Thank you for sharing and being nice!